Thursday, June 14, 2007

Chad's Pep Talk

I talked to Chad last night about everything and anything marathon related I could think of. It's been really nice to have someone there for me who's been through it before (many times before.) Since I was training alone I really need that support and encouragement. He always seems to know what to say to calm me down and get me motivated. Really he's like a coach, brother, and partner all in one. And for that I will be eternally grateful!

It's so strange to think a mere 14 months ago I was standing in the drizzle of London watching my first marathon, the Flora London Marathon, and hypothesising that I might one day run a marathon. Well here I am 14 months later 3 days away from completing that mightiest of feats. I also made a promise to Chris & Chad on that cool, rain soaked morning: at my first marathon I would put Xtine on my shirt. People put their names on their shirts so that spectators can yell out their names along with the words on encouragement. Well by this point both of the guys had taken to calling me this so it was a promise. I intend to see it out!

What's even more strange is the transformation I've come through in the 16 months I have been running. Last January when you asked me what I thought about running I would have told you that anyone who runs, especially outside, it absolutely out of their freaking minds! Well clearly that mentality is gone, because I will be 'running' outside for 26.2 miles on Saturday. I know people decide to run marathons and do their 3-4 months of training and that's that, but for not running at all, hating it even to a full marathon in a little over a year has to be worth something!

No comments: